If you're looking for a motorcycle that offers the best of both worlds–heritage-inspired design combined with modern performance–then you should consider the Indian Scout motorcycle. This bike has been winning over riders since its debut in 1920, later becoming a favorite with flat trackers, hill climbers, and stunt riders. Today, with its lightweight, sleek design and powerful engine, the Indian Scout is perfect for anyone who wants to experience the thrill of riding a motorcycle.
In this motorcycle guide, we will discuss the history of the Indian Scout, what makes it stand out, and insights on how to customize it to make it your own.
History of the Indian Scout Model
Indian introduced the Scout model in 1920, which was later replaced with a new version in 1928, the Scout 101, that offered better performance, a new frame with more fork rake, a lower seat height, and a longer wheelbase with better rider experience than previous bikes. The Indian Scout motorcycle gained popularity for its smaller design, unlike its competitors, which made it easier to handle and perfect for city streets. The Scout 101 runs an air-cooled, four-stroke, 740cc, v-twin engine.
However, due to the effects of the Great Recession, the production of the Scout 101 only ran until 1931. In 1932, the 101 was replaced with the Scout Standard, a cheaper, low-maintenance version until 1937. By 1940, Indian had begun to equip its motorcycles with full skirt fenders, a design that would become an icon for the brand. Indian Scouts were later used in World War II by the United States military.
Over the next years, Indian faced a number of ownership changes and financial difficulties, which led to a decline in Indian Scout production. In 2011, the Indian Motorcycle Company was purchased by Polaris Industries, and the development of new Indian Scout motorcycle models began. This began a new era for the Indian Scout, which is still being produced today.
What Makes the Indian Scout So Popular?
Several things make the Indian Scout so popular among riders. Our motorcycle guide outlines some of these features, including:
- A lightweight design that makes it easy to handle - Indian Scouts are known for their lightweight and easy handling, which makes them the perfect motorcycle choice for beginners.
- A wide range of styling options - Indian offers a variety of different styles to choose from when it comes to Indian Scout bikes, making it easy to find one that matches your style.
- A powerful engine with incredible performance - Indian Scout motorcycles are equipped with a powerful engine that offers impressive power and performance. The latest engines offer 100 horsepower and a top speed of 124 mph.
- A reasonable price - Indian Scouts are one of the most affordable motorcycle choices on the market, making them an excellent value for your money. The Indian Scout is a popular choice for riders who are looking for an easy-to-handle motorcycle with impressive performance and style at an affordable price.
- Excellent fuel economy - Indian Scouts offer excellent gas mileage, which means you can go further for less. This makes it a favorite among day-to-day commuters as well as long-distance riders.
- A high-performance suspension system - Indian Scout motorcycles feature a high-performance suspension system that provides riders with a smooth riding experience.
- A classic low-riding height -The iconic Indian Scout bike features a low riding height that ensures the rider is seated in an optimal position for comfort and control.
Indian Scout Models
The iconic Indian Scout comes in different models and sizes to fit your needs. With a wide range of features, upgrades, and accessories to choose from, enthusiasts are sure of finding the Indian Scout motorcycle that perfectly meets their desires. There are three main models, and each has its own unique style and personality that is perfect for cruising around town or taking weekend trips.
See our simplified Indian Scout motorcycle guide:
- Indian Scout - An icon featuring classic fenders and smooth body lines that give it the unmistakable Indian Scout design. This is a perfect choice for those who appreciate timeless styling. This model is built on a strong foundation as an Indian motorcycle with pure modern power and style. If you love this classic model, but want something designed for beginner riders, opt for the Scout Sixty.
- Scout Bobber - If you love a meaner and tougher look and style, the Bobber is your ultimate pick. It comes in a classic custom look that draws attention and delivers a powerful performance. It offers Indian Scout motorcycle enthusiasts an opportunity to enjoy the Indian riding experience in their own unique style. It's made for riders who want to stand out from the crowd as they cruise downtown or take weekend road trips. If you want a minimalist version of the Bobber that is also fun to ride, get the Bobber Sixty.
- Scout Rogue - This is the top performance-minded and aggressive model in the Scout family. It easily demands attention wherever you go and inspires both new and experienced riders to express their individualism. It's the perfect motorcycle for those who want to ride hard and look good doing it. With a wide selection of features, it's simply an extension of your personality and preferences. If you want more approachable power, selective features, and a lower price tag for the Rogue, opt for the Rogue Sixty Indian Scout motorcycle model.
With such a wide range of models to choose from, there's definitely an Indian Scout out there that matches your personality and riding goals perfectly. So get on one today and experience all that this legendary motorcycle has to offer. Indian is a brand that has continued to design motorcycles with riders in mind, ensuring that you have a thrilling and exciting experience each time you take one out for a ride.
Get Custom Indian Scout Parts and Accessories
If you want to make your Indian Scout motorcycle uniquely yours, you can get custom Indian Scout parts and accessories at West End Motorsports. If you wish to install an aftermarket exhaust that delivers a louder, throatier roar, Indian Scout accessories like seats that make your bike more comfortable for you to ride, or windshields and fenders that give you the look that you want, we have it all.